Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Start of Chemo...

Sam began his chemotherapy yesterday. So far, he's been feeling ok - just a little tired and slightly nauseous. From what we've heard and read, this chemotherapy is much more tolerable than what he had 7 years ago. I'm sure as it builds up in his system, he will start feeling the effects a little more strongly. We had been waiting to hear back from the doctor about a blood test that will determine what some of his side effects will be, and unfortunately it came back that he has "the diarrhea gene". I don't think that you need me to explain what that might mean. So this chemo might be a little bit more uncomfortable than it would for people without that gene.

Yesterday's chemo was at the hospital, but today's was at home. It was very convenient. It will take some time to get used to having a stranger in our family room every day for 4 hours. We really liked this first nurse, so we are hoping that she will be here the majority of the time.

We did get some good news that Sam's bone marrow biopsy came back clear! We are so relieved. This was the last possible place that the cancer could have spread, so it is extremely good news that it hasn't.

Taylor has been really good about everything. She seems very interested in "Dada's special medicine" and asked a lot of questions. We think she may have a future in the medical field.

I had to write down one of my favorite verbal exchanges with Taylor. She said this to me on Sunday night on my way out:
Me: "Taylor, I'm going to book club"
Taylor: "I'm going to go to college some day!"
Me: "Oh you are? That's wonderful!"
Taylor: "And you will come with me, ok? And dada will come too. We will go to college together. Because I will miss you."

I just needed to write it down, so that I can refer to this in 16 years when she is kicking me out of her dorm room on move-in day!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cheryl, I know it's been years since we've had a chance to hang out in person. But that hasn't changed how I feel about you and your family! I remember when you were going through this the first time. I was (and still am) amazed at your strength, as well as Sam's strength. You are both beautiful people and beautiful parents. I will be praying that this cancer is completely destroyed. Much Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, Cheryl, Taylor & baby Pavelka to come,
    You are all in my prayers. You are such wonderful, & strong people, I know God has a plan for you. Know that you are loved & thought of constantly. Laurie Tessmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, you did it before and you will do it again. Uncle Dan

    ReplyDelete